Friday, November 21, 2008
Progress has been slow, its been hard to grab much time in the last week or so.
I have managed to get the deck on the kayak though. I did this through last week, and at the weekend I planed of the excess around the edges and sanded any epoxy that squeezed out of the joint.
On Wednesday I managed to get into the garage for a brief moment to fit the PVC pipe ends that I'm using for hatches. I stuck 3 small, curved face blocks around the underside of each of the holes to increase the gluing surface and held these in place with a small screw each. I then added plenty of epoxy with microfibres to the glass tape the I had previously bonded to the tubes with PVC cement. The fit in the holes was tight enough not to require any tape, pins or clamps. I'll remove the temporary screws, clean up the excess resin and fillet and fill the deck/hatch transition when I'm ready to tape the deck/hull seam.
Finally, here's a shot of the copper pipe that I inserted in the bow to hold the toggle rope.