Thursday, December 4, 2008
Although I don't have a spray deck, or know how to Eskimo roll, I want to include a lip on the cockpit coaming to hold a spray deck in due course. If I'm to try and cross the Rangitoto Channel in this home built contraption, then I really don't want to get swamped half way across.
To this end, I made a crown of pins all around the coaming and balances a length of 8mm knitted synthetic rope on this, with the odd extra pin tensioning the rope. The rope had first been dipped in straight epoxy resin to soak it.
The pins are now removed and I've started the lengthy process of smoothing (or fairing) the outside of the hull in preparation for painting. There is nothing to add to the kayak now really, just filler and paint. I need to paint the seat and find some closed cell foam to pad it, and I still haven't got round to making a paddle yet.